No Spend September is underway! Whether it’s September or February, you can challenge yourself to a “spending freeze” any time of year! Check out the rules and tips here, and just dive right in. You’ll be suprised how eye-opening and how fun this challenge really is!
To kick off the frugally fun journey, we talk about ways to save money while grocery shopping in episode 12 of the podcast. Plus, you’ll hear updates on how the no-spend month is going for us just a few days in. Stay tuned for more thrifty tips in episodes 13, 14, and 15 too!
For now, here’s a quick run-down of our best grocery shopping budget tips:
- Make a grocery list and stick to it.
- Avoid impulse buys.
- Leave the kids at home, and if you can’t, give them their own budget ($1?) for spending, or bring surprise snacks or toys with you to keep them busy and avoid giving in to their whims.
- Set a weekly grocery budget and try to stick with it. Calculate your grocery budget which includes toiletries and diapers by multiplying the number of people in your household by $40. (Listen to the podcast to hear how Jen is trying to stick with $200 per week for her family of 6… which is crazy!).
- Buy on-sale items. If your list includes cucumbers for lunches and cherry tomatoes are on sale, swap one for the other to save some cash.
- Buy organic produce when you can following EWG’s Dirty Dozen, but don’t sweat it. However, if you buy eggs, dairy, meat or fish, buying organic and certified humane can definitely be worth the extra expense
- Don’t forget about frozen fruits and veggies. They’re often more rich in nutrients than fresh produce depending on how far your fresh produce has traveled and they last longer. But buy the Big Bag. 🙂
Share your “no spend” journey with us on social media using #NoSpendSeptember2018 and check out Jen’s favorite lady Jordan Page on Fun Cheap or Free for more budget-friendly tips!
Need some new recipes to try in your meal plans this month? When you subscribe to our newsletter, you’re in the loop on all our free resources. Right now, our subscribers have access to our 3-Step Weekend Prep guide. The recipes inside are great for saving time and money!
In lists and brownies from scratch,
Jen & Corinne