Hi friends! Corinne and I are fighting cold and flu season, so what a great time to chat about how to boost kids’ immune systems!? Yep, your kids are going to get sick this season, it’s gonna happen. But what are the ways you can keep germs at bay and their bodies fighting things off quickly and quietly? Take a listen to Episode 20 or check out our tips below!
7 Ways to Boost Your Kids’ Immune Systems:
- Help them get lots of healthy sleep. Get those kids to bed. Sleep is an immune-booster… let them get the rest they need to fight off the icks.
- Keep them hydrated. When it’s chilly out and they’re not sweating all the time and feeling thirsty, it’s easy to get dehydrated. Push water just like you do on the summertime soccer field.
- Get them their flu shots. It can’t hurt, and may keep your child from getting super major sick this season. And if you have kids with autoimmune diseases like I do, flu shots are a must.
- Pull back on sugar and fatty garbage. Oh the Halloween candy and the holiday parties! Ration, trash, and skip altogether if you can. Foods that aren’t good for your heart are also great at weakening your immune system.
- Push the multivitamins. A few extra milligrams of vitamin C and zinc can’t hurt. Get your kids on a Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule can keep the vitamins on a realistic schedule.
- Feed them more veggies. Now’s the time of year when veggies like canned pumpkin can go in every baked item, sauce and pancake. Even if it’s too chilly to chomp on raw veggies, sneak them into every warm dish possible. The fiber and antioxidants are just what little bodies need to stay healthy.
- Get them outside more. There are very few conditions where you can’t bundle up and head out into the backyard or to a playground for an hour or two. Bring a thermos of hot chocolate and get them some fresh air. The germs are actually INside, not OUTside, and it’s all the time inside that gives the colder months a bad rap for sickness.
Stay tuned for next week’s episode with immune boosting tips for adults. Until then, happy veggie eating!
xo, Jen & Corinne
There are two problems with being a dietitian. The first one is that people often feel like you’re counting the calories they put into their mouths (believe me, I don’t like math THAT much), and the second one is that when you’re strolling down the aisles of the grocery store and see flour made out of cauliflower, you buy it. THIS STUFF.
I figured I couldn’t go wrong with cookies, right? Well, the Reilly clan had mixed reviews at first… mainly because the 4 critical kids *knew* that there was cauliflower in there (‘Why can’t we just have NORMAL chocolate chip cookies?!?”)… but when the cookies cooled down, the mild cauliflowerness disappeared and the reviews shot up from 3 to 5 stars! Boom. Buying cauliflower flour just moved out of the problem category. So, voila! Enjoy.
In veggies, Jen